Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gingerbread House 2011 - Construction

First time ever making a gingerbread house entirely from scratch. Not too happy with the result but it's still nice.









Phase 1 - Template and dough recipe
• 6 cups all purpose flour
• 5 teaspoons ground ginger
• 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1 1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
• 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup robust (dark) molasses
Cream last four ingredients and gradually blend dry into wet.
Phase 2 - Roll out and shape I don't own a proper wood board so I just layed wax paper on the counter.
In the end I stuffed the house with ginger folk. My icicles got all runny so I had to use food dye to paint over the white and just left as is. Next year a traditional with trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment